Thursday, February 23, 2012

The Menarche Diaries: Tasha-Rose's First Period

The Menarche Diaries:
Tasha's First Period


I was 11. I have a mother who is the most detached person from reality that I can think of. She never spoke to me about it. I learned about it by reading "Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret." and my stealing her old 70's copy of OBOS. When I got it, I hid it from my mother for a few months. When she found out, it was because I had not been careful and I had gotten blood on a towel after my shower for school. I got home, got dragged by my arm to the bathroom and made to explain the blood, then grounded because I hadn't told her.

Not a great story and why I am so vulva and vagina open (pardon...) with my daughters. I don't want them to have fear or shame over their beautiful bodies.

Thanks for letting me share.

~Tasha-Rose

No comments: